Jensen’s Tennis manages five tennis centres for the City of Sydney: Prince Alfred Park (Surry Hills), St James Park (Glebe), Turruwul Park (Rosebery), Beaconsfield Park (Beaconsfield) and Alexandria Park (Alexandria).
Established in the 1930s by Eddie Jensen, Jensen’s Tennis offers City Community Tennis users a range of professional tennis services including:
- court hire
- social tennis
- private and group tuition for children and adults
- pro-shop at Prince Alfred Park Tennis Courts for racquet, ball and shoe hire, purchase and restringing
- small kiosk to buy drinks and snacks (Prince Alfred Park only)
The culture at Jensen’s is personal, informal, good-humoured, genuine, caring, spontaneous and inclusive. You do not have to be a member to play at City Community Tennis however membership will provide you with a range of discounts including player registration with Tennis NSW which gives you personal injury insurance and the ability to enter Tennis Australia tournaments and competitions. We also plant a tree for every new and renewing member as part of our carbon offset program! Become a Member Today!
Courts are available for hire 7 days a week 24/7 via the on-line booking system or by phoning us on (+61 2) 9698 9451.
We service the CBD of Sydney and surrounding communities of Surry Hills, Redfern, Chippendale, Glebe, Alexandria, Rosebery and Beaconsfield and also host the University of Technology Sydney (UTS) Tennis Club. Being within walking distance to the heart of Sydney and other local universities (Sydney Institute Ultimo TAFE and the University of Sydney) adds to the cosmopolitan and international mix of players here.
History of Jensen’s Tennis
Edward (Eddie) Patrick Jensen: 1912 – 2003
Jensen’s Tennis was founded by Eddie Jensen, who was born in Kings Cross in 1912. He began his tennis career at the age of sixteen as a Junior Tennis Coach under the watchful eye of G.P Lane, the official Coach of the Lawn Tennis Association of NSW. By the age of eighteen Eddie had become a fully qualified tennis ‘Pro’, being the second person to be certified by the NSWLTA (the first being G.P.Lane). Eddie worked for a further two years with the legendary Lane, teaching at Private Schools within the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and giving tuition to well known identities such as the family of the Governor of NSW. By the age of twenty Eddie had grown in maturity and ability to start his own business on a court by the waterfront in Billyard Avenue, Elizabeth Bay which later became the site for Larry Adler’s Boomerang residence.
During the depression era in the 1930′s tennis courts sprang up all over Sydney as people sought additional income by renting backyard courts and Australia became the first country to bring tennis to the masses. Eddie was ideally placed to meet the booming demand for people wanting to learn tennis. This revolution made Australia the first country in the world where tennis was a popular sport available to everyone which contributed to Australia producing a line of world champion tennis players.
In 1931, Eddie took on five courts in Roslyn Gardens, Rushcutters Bay. His dashing good looks and cosmopolitan style contributed to his enormous success in his ambition to become one of Sydney’s leading tennis coaches. He turned down an offer from John Hopman to teach at the King of Siam’s court (Thailand) and another offer for a position in Monaco because he was keen to build his business in Sydney. He eventually opening additional courts at Kings Cross where the El Alamane Fountain now stands and another in Double Bay on the site of the Golden Sheaf Hotel.
After WWII there was huge feeling of euphoria and people wanted to enjoy themselves so they flocked to play tennis and joined Eddie’s Social Club. Eddie was by then a well-known local personality with his own radio program on tennis, coaching at many of the major GPS schools and being featured regularly in social columns and magazines.
In the 1950s, Australia began to dominate world tennis and Jensen’s Tennis Centre became a base for Australian Davis Cup players when White City was unavailable and on some occasions Eddie was invited to play practice doubles with members of the Australian Davis Squad.
An innovator, Eddie also created a successful cosmopolitan cafe “The Round House” where he introduced espresso coffee and cappuccinos in 1962. The 1960s saw the advent of the Vietnam war and an increase in international air travel and the long jets. Jensen’s Tennis Centre became an international focal point for airline crews and famous personalities passing through Sydney. Eddie taught American service men who were on ‘r & r’ as well as many celebrities such as Shirley Bassey, Carol Burnett and Glen Campbell who were keen to learn tennis from an Australian coach. Even the famous sailor Sir Francis Chitchester dropped into Eddie’s café for a hamburger in 1967 during his record-breaking single-handed circumnavigation around the world.
Eddie retired in 1975 and it was not untill 1986 that Jensen’s Tennis College began again at the Woodcock Tennis & Swim Club in Varna St, Waverly by his two sons, Patrick and Anthony Jensen.
In 1988 Anthony and Patrick relocated Jensen’s Tennis to its present location in Prince Alfred Park, Surry Hills where it is still a family-run small business currently managing 5 tennis centres for the City of Sydney under the name City Community Tennis.